One of our recent clients is an emerging North American startup conceptualizing new uninterruptible power supply (UPS) enclosures, self-contained aluminum cabinets that ensure extended electrical availability in remote areas. They’re specifically targeting the energy storage needs of the underserved Indian market, both business users and household consumers. By India’s own set standards, only 10% of households in a village must have electricity to be considered electrified. As of August 2018, 91% of the total households are electrified in India. Rural areas in India are electrified non-uniformly, with richer states providing a majority of the villages with power while poorer states are still struggling to do so. 
The client sought an India-based partner representing a home-field advantage, offering ample manufacturing resources, specifically printed circuit board assembly (PCBA). They also wanted this partner to provide full box-build integration and functional testing development for their enclosures, combined with minimal barriers to entry for domestic production and sales within India. They also required that their partner meet an exacting list of specifications for their enclosures:
- PCBA by IPC-A-610 Class-2 quality standards, governing build criteria for solder joints, component placement tolerance, and other verifiable aspects of the circuit board assembly.
- Full box-build capabilities to efficiently assemble internal components and external housings into finished units under one roof.
- A localized supply chain could provide bulk quantities of connection cables, power supplies, batteries, and other materials at shorter lead times and significant overall cost savings over long-distance imports.
- Thorough QA review, with custom-developed system-level functional testing.
- Enclosing finished units in the client’s custom-designed packaging, bundled with all external accessories and product documentation.
We contribute our 40 years of design and manufacturing expertise spanning multiple diverse markets. We look forward to discussing how we can deliver world-class products for OEMs across the globe. We understand our home Indian market, familiar with its vast regulatory and selling environments. We foster growth opportunities within India through our strong technology incubation ecosystem. We also assist global OEMs in entering the Indian market by leveraging the local supply chain and favorable operating environments for cost reductions.
Our flagship Chennai location opened in 2006 and lies within a Special Economic Zone (SEZ) for electronics manufacturing, offering economic incentives for imports and exports. This primary facility is within 90 minutes of the Chennai seaport and 20 minutes to the international airport. Additional road and rail connectivity links to the rest of India and beyond and infrastructure advantages with faster import and export clearances. We also have labor force flexibility, both technical and manual, to scale to demand rapidly.
To learn more about this topic, please contact us.